Ever wake up, and find it is suddenly noon when you’ve only had a cup of coffee? Happens a lot around here (God, I miss brunch), but after finding a recipe for no bake energy bites, I’m happy to report I have found an easy breakfast that requires no morning prep and minimal work (simply find 5 minutes in the evening to whip these up). They are full of healthy ingredients giving you strength to power through your day. Oh, and they are DELICIOUS – as in super yummy bites of oatmeal cookie dough goodness.
They have ground flaxseed (which is easier for the body to digest in comparison to whole flaxseed) and chia seeds, both rich in Omega-3 fatty acids – “good” fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. In addition, these superfoods promote healthy skin and hair, are touted to be anti-aging, have digestive benefits, and aid in weight loss by being high in fiber and low in carbs. They make a fantastic grab and go breakfast or a perfect after school snack! These are kid tested (thumbs up) and definitely mommy approved.
No Bake Energy Bites
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats oatmeal
- 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes* (I used a brand from whole foods that is unsweetened and extremely dry looking)
- 3/4 cup peanut butter**
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life’s Semi Sweet Mini Chips, which are vegan but super yummy)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Place into refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes. Using a small cookie scoop, shape into balls. Makes about 3 dozen. Keep in refrigerator for up to a week.
* To toast coconut flakes, simply place coconut flakes in a single layer in toaster oven for a few minutes. Watch closely because it browns quickly.
** Replace with any nut butter if allergic.